Friday, April 16, 2010

Geologists are cooler than Geographers.

Well, its official. Geologists are wayyy cooler than Geographers (Here's PROOF). I went to the AAG conference in D.C. yesterday, and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. I mean, it was...OK. There was only 1 session that I was even remotely interested in yesterday, and then.... that was it. But I am still half-Geographer, and I do love maps so. So, I've sprinkled some interesting interpretations of maps throughout this post (all via WeHeartIt).

So after we were satisfied that we had seen everything interesting at the conference, my friends and I left and walked down Conneticutt Ave. to find something to eat. We found an awesome mediterranean bistro that was having a $3 sangria AND $3 pita with hummus deal, so we sat at a table outside and enjoyed. Mmmmm.
Then (this is so weird), I glanced up from my sangria and saw my (potential) advisor from A&M walking down the street. What?! I swear, right then I knew that any doubts I had about whether I should still be going down to Texas from grad school were erased. What are the odds that I would be sitting at that restaurant at the exact right moment to see him walking down the street?
He was on the phone when I saw him, so I sent him a text message really quick. He called me right back and he and a colleague came by and chatted for a few minutes. They invited us to "the party to attend at AAG" (LSU + TAMU). I really wish I could have gone, but I drove up with my friend Pat, and I would have had to gotten a hotel room ($200+ a night), AND I didn't have a change of clothes or even MAKEUP for the next day, so....unfortunately, I didn't get to go. I'm still pretty bummed about that. But it was really cool to see Dr. H and get to chat for a few minutes.

The session he organized (for the marine and coastal group, ahem) is Saturday at 8:00 a.m. I really want to go to that, of course, but I'm still trying to work out the logistics of getting to D.C. before 8:00 a.m....I could take the metro, but I'd have to leave here no later than 6:00... I guess that's really not that bad, and on a Saturday.... I don't know. I really should go... that's really the only other session I'm interested in seeing at all... there aren't too many physical geography sessions; most of it seems to be human geography (BOR-ING) haha!


Anyway, aside from the fact that I was disappointed in the lack of cool-ness on the part of Geographers, I had a pretty decent day. I looked good; I scored a Banana Republic khaki pencil skirt for $3 and a nice, fitted white blouse for $3 from the Goodwill on Wednesday! You just can't beat that. It was really nice to spend time with friends, too. I just don't get to do that too often, but this week I hung out with friends TWICE. Holy crap. I feel terrible because I truly haven't had time (or made time, I suppose) in about 2 years to hang out with friends. I guess its almost analogous with what Teddy is going through....almost. But its such a good feeling to know that I do have friends, and they are wonderful, and I am not alone in the world. So, thank you. You are freaking awesome.


Plus, I made a new friend yesterday. Pat is one of my closest friends from school, and she is just the coolest. She's 20 years older than I, and gay. And, super-smart and really cool to be around. She brought her girlfriend Heidi along yesterday, and they are the coolest couple I've ever met, I think. They've been together for like 14 years or something, and have raised 2 children together. I give them a great-big imaginary high-five for being so awesome.
And, in honor of Texas, here is a good one!
OK, enough for now. I'm going upstairs to play with kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...