Friday, May 18, 2007

Treasures galore!

My mom asked me to pick up Krista from school today at 4:30 (she had field day or something today, I think), and when I got there, I waited and waited for about 20 minutes. Then my phone rang and it was Krista, telling me that she didn't need me to pick her up, and she was going to a friend's house. Needless to say, I was livid. I had been busy at home, but made a special trip to the school (its about 1/2 hour away) to pick her up, and now she says she's going to a friend's house. Grr. But - instead of making the trip become a complete waste, I decided to stop in at the Goodwill to see if there were any treasures to be found.
Well!
There were!

This is definitely one of my new favorite things in the whole wide world. Isn't it the cutest?? Its about a foot tall, and drawers really pull out. I put it on my night stand so I can put my jewelry that I wear every day in it at night when I go to bed. I need to find a really great picture of Chris and I to put it in. We're not too photogenic together, as it seems, though....so I shall leave it empty for now. Still cute! I found 2 of these little wonders... only $2 each! I'm going to give 'em a fresh coat of paint and maybe some little extras.... I think they're just adorable!

and

my favorite thrifted treasure of the day:


Isn't it just beautiful?

What? What's that? You - you think its hideous??

Well, you're right. It is (was) quite hideous.

But what do you think about it now?
The little shadowbox was so ugly before. The background was the cardboard that makes up the back of the frame, with flowers cut out of the front of a greeting card scotch-taped onto it. And there was lace. Ugly, yellowing lace glued into the inside perimeter of the frame. So, so ugly.
So. I cut out the lace, covered the cardboard-backing with stripey fabric, painted the little girl (anybody know who she was inspired by?? My mom guessed it right away!), and made her a little felt-and-thread kite to fly.
I can just see her flying her little red kite in the Tuileries in Paris, singing Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins all the way....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...