Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Rose is a Rose....



Would you believe, I picked these from my garden yesterday?! Its been below freezing at night for the past few nights, and my little roses are still holding on. I was shocked. There's also some lavender and catmint in there (that's the purple flower). This tiny little bouquet has really just brightened the rainy, dreary day.

The yellow ones are my favorite!
I was so busy at school this past week that Thursday night I had a 'me-night'. I curled up in bed with my dog and watched some movies that I've been wanting to see for a while, that finally came in from Netflix recently.

First, we watched The Fall. It was awesome. Really. If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it! Now! It is just visually stunning; and the little girl, Alexandria, is adorable with her accent and gap-teeth.
After that, we watched Akira Kurosawa's Dreams. That too is visually stunning, but parts of it made me feel really....uncomfortable. I don't know exactly why. I mean, obviously that was the point of some of the 'dreams' and the way they were portrayed, but... I don't know. Also, there are a lot of elements that are repetitive. Its deliberate, but it made me feel really impatient and uneasy. The other thing that made me sort of uncomfortable with it was that a few of the 'dreams' just didn't seem like they actually came from, well, dreams. They were just too coherent, and had such specific messages (like "save the planet" kind of stuff, which I'm all about, but come on... this guy dreamt that? No way.).... it kind of betrayed the idea that these were a man's dreams, brought to realization. But all-in-all, it was pretty cool. I really liked the first two dreams, when he was a little boy. They seemed more dream-like, and the traditional Japanese costumes and dance are just gorgeous. The one 'grown-up' dream I really liked was "The Crows"... it was amazing the way they brought Van Gogh paintings to life. Beautiful. "The Weeping Demon" was terrible, I thought. I actually got really bored with that one. Anyway, the movie has a good concept, I just didn't like some of the segments.





1 comment:

  1. That is awesome that the flowers are surviving the cold. I've heard that roses can sustain most, but I didn't know they could do cold temperatures. Beautiful bouquet!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...