Thursday, April 29, 2010

The downfalls of being "Teacher's Pet"

I was bad and skipped my first class this morning. It was only my Seminar class, and we weren't doing anything today, so I decided my time would be better spent at home working on the thousand projects I have to do in the next few days. Skipping class gave me an extra 3 hours this morning to get stuff done!

I've spent all morning working on a 20 minute presentation I'm giving tomorrow to my department's Advisory Board. What is an Advisory Board, you may ask? Well, as it turns out, it is a board made up of members of local industries and agencies who "help the department and guide us through important projects and programs" (read: they decide whether or not we get funding for field courses and other good stuff). So I'm giving a presentation tomorrow about my experience in the Curacao field course last January, and how that class led me to my current research project which is award-winning and has probably gotten me into grad school. No pressure, right?

I don't get nervous about making presentations; I'm a pretty good speaker. But. I have SO MUCH WORK TO DO right now. This is just ONE MORE THING, for which I'm not even getting CREDIT. I'm doing this as a favor to Dr. C and our department head. Brownie points.

So here's what my 10-day forecast looks like:

Friday: Advisory Board presentation; study for GREs
Saturday: Take GRE at 8:00 a.m.; GTU picnic at Dr. H's house in the evening (not sure if I'm going to that.... unfortunately I probably just don't have time)
Sunday: Get together with Pat and study for the GIS final (Monday), work on our (just assigned yesterday) Sed. paper; finish final draft of a different Sed paper (also due Monday), and put together a 7-minute presentation for Sed (also to be given on Monday)
Monday: GIS final, Sed stuff described above is all due
Tuesday: Seminar assesment (not an exam) at 8:00 a.m., ISM final at 1:00
Wednesday: Latin America final at 3:30
Thursday: Econ final at 1:00
Friday: nothing (???)
Saturday: Fly to Texas for a week.

And it really doesn't get any better from there. My whole summer is sort-of a repeat of the above described week of Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...