Friday, April 30, 2010

Finally....a good day!


Well, I think its safe to say I've actually had a pretty good day today! Finally!!
The sun is shining, there's not a cloud in the sky, and I got some good news today. Hooray!

I gave a 30-minute presentation to my Department's Advisory Board (which included the Mayor and a bunch of people who give the department a LOT of money). It went really well; I think they were all dazzled and charmed (ha-ha). No, seriously, it went well. I wasn't nervous or anything - I like speaking to groups. and my presentation was about the Curacao field course I took in January 2009, the research I did there, and my subsequent research, so I definitely knew what I was talking about! Afterward, members of the Board sounded really interested and had a lot of questions, and they all said I did a wonderful job. Yay, me.

Then, I came home and had a whole bunch of GOOD emails to read! Awesome! First of all, my contact from Texas A&M finally emailed me back about my internship for this summer (I was starting to get nervous because I hadn't heard from him - yikes!) - looks like I'm going to be continuing my research about the CVI (very cool; I didn't think I was going to be doing that, but that's awesome) AND the ultimate goal is to end up with a publication in a major journal! That is so awesome. PLUS....(drumroll).... it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in Florida! Oh, darn. Man, I really picked the WRONG field, didn't I? ;)

Then, the icing of the cake was that Teddy's best friend's girlfriend (did you follow that??), who is graduating this month from the University of Texas with a Paleontology degree (very cool!) emailed me to tell me that I should give her a call in 2 weeks when I'm down in Texas, just to get together and do something fun! Yayyy! That makes me overly happy because it feels good to know that our 'mutual' friends are still MY friends, even though Teddy and I aren't together anymore. That makes me feel really, really good. Plus it gives me something to look forward to, which I really need right now. She mentioned a Paleo. dept. cookout which sounds fan-tas-tic to me!!

Let's see....what else? Umm... oh, I'm taking the GRE tomorrow morning at 8:00, in Harrisburg which is a good hour away from my house. Yayyy (not). So, I'm really not looking forward to that, BUT.... I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely have to take it a second time, anyway. At least, having taken it once, I will know what to expect and what to be studying. I probably shouldn't have scheduled the GRE for this weekend - anyone who reads this blog at all knows how busy I have been, and Monday starts Finals week. But, its not like my schedule is going to magically clear-up anytime soon. I think this is going to be the "Summer vacation that never was". And, I have also been thinking that it might really be the wiser thing to do to wait until the Spring semester to start grad school in Texas. I'll graduate in August and (literally) have about 1 week before the Fall semester starts. I just don't know how feasible this plan is. I think I would be perfectly OK with not stressing out about trying to get everything done to get in for Fall, get super-high GRE scores (which are required in order to get a T.A.), and deal with moving all of my stuff down to Texas in a hurry (which I still haven't figured out). At least I would have a few months to gather myself up... maybe even get a job?? *shock-horror* Plus, then I would only have to take out loans to pay for ONE semester at Texas instead of TWO..... hmmmmm.

OK, enough rambling. I'm just thinking/typing out-loud....err, sort-of.

Time for another cup of coffeeeeeee (at 5:00 p.m.)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...