Here's yet another soup recipe. This one I made up all by myself, because...well, I needed to use up some veggies from the fridge. I had some black-eyed peas leftover from New Year's Eve, a bunch of cilantro that was on the verge of being yuck-ified, and half of a bunch of kale that was started to wilt. So.... what better way to clean out the fridge than by making soup???
Green Black-Eyed Pea Soup:
Makes about 3 servings
1 small bunch of kale, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 to 2 cups of black-eyed peas (cooked)
1 few handfuls of cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 cups of vegetable broth
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped onion or shallot
1 scallion, chopped
Olive oil for sauteeing
Salt and/or pepper, to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, saute the garlic, onion or shallot, and scallions in olive oil until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the broth, about 2/3 of the pre-cooked black-eyed peas, and kale. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a blender, and blend until smooth.
4. Transfer back to saucepan and stir in the remaining 1/3 of black-eyed peas.
5. Add salt and/or pepper to taste, garnish with a little bit of cilantro, and serve!